Saturday, December 3, 2011

Holiday Foods: Attempting Lefse


Okay, I got that out of the way. I did marry into a Norwegian/Danish family. Lots of talk about lefse (and ludefisk). Lefse is a potato pancake which is buttered and sprinkled with sugar. Its generally made at the holidays. Since I have time this year I thought I'd make an attempt on their beloved lefse. I used an online recipe and tweaked it for my own. 

Lefse
10lb of potatoes, peeled and boiled
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup cream
1 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl salt
2.5 cups flour



Boil the potatoes. This is a lot like making mashed potatoes until the end. 


Rice. Add butter. Allow it to melt. Mix. Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. 

When you get it out add cream, salt, sugar, flour. Mix well. THIS WILL BE WET. The only thing I could do was add more flour until it was manageable. I couldn't get it off my rolling board.  I hear from an actual Norwegian that it should have been rolled out on cloth dusted with flour to make it easier to lift to the grill. 
Next time.


The grill should be very hot. 500 degrees Fahrenheit. I have an electric grill that goes to 450 so I set it as high as it went and let it warm up for a good 10 minutes to insure full heat. 

Much like any flat bread you will see bubbling and the other side will brown. Flip sides. 


You can wrap them in a towel as they come off the grill, or you can butter and sugar them for the hungry hordes. 

Tradition seems to have them folded in fourths while stored and rolled like a straw for eating. 


No comments: