Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Divide and Plant

 Now that school is over and plants are sprouting its time to check out the new growth outside.


First, my neighbor, who is a Master Gardener, has a plant sale. Between his own yard and the garden he plants along the bike path he has a lot of dividing to do. He uses this opportunity to sell extra plants that are getting too large.

It used to be $1 a plant. This year its $2. Ah, inflation. The money is put back into the garden, new plants, holders, etc. I bought 12 plants this year.

  

I also bought some bulbs for plants that grow in shade or partial shade. I'm going to turn the garden bed under the trees into a shade flower garden. Along with the flowers pictured I planted pulmonaria, lamium, and dwarf goatsbeard. 



I also noticed that the parsley is coming back!

I was really excited because parsley is a biennial and this is the 3rd year I've had it. That means the seeds from the plant last year propagated. I wasn't sure that it would.


Dean and I also divided some of our own plants last night and planted them back into the pots I got from the sale. A friend has moved to a new house recently and could use some perennials. Oregano, strawberry (June-bearing and ever-bearing), bee balm, bachelors buttons, grape hyacinth, black-eyed susan, and lily of the valley. Now if she would only like some Obedient plants. They're taking over the back garden.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Because a plant is labeled a biennial doesn't mean that it necessarily dies the third year. It just means that it grows the first year and will not set seed until the second year unless prompted. It may change the nature of the plant with maturity. For example, parsnips the second year the root eventually becomes more and more woody, or the flavor of the edible leaves in parsley may change. It doesn't mean that it will only live just the two years.