Friday, September 3, 2010

Trying to Find that Perfect Muffin



One of the problems with learning to bake for yourself is that giant gas station muffins and box kits just taste bad. My husband won't even eat a store muffin anymore because he says they taste like Crisco.

Not that there's anything wrong with Crisco. It has its place. 

I'm on a quest. Blueberry muffins. Really good, mostly healthy blueberry muffins. 

I've had a few good non-healthy ones. But if you add enough butter and sugar to anything it will form a mini-cake and that's not what I'm looking for. 

One of my favorite add-ins has been oatmeal or oat bran. The taste is mild and it lends a bit of crunch to the muffins. Another has been applesauce or a banana. They do different things. The banana has a stronger flavor but really helps hold things together (like eggs). Applesauce keeps things moist without overwhelming with flavor. And although I've heard it's a great sub for oil (or butter) I don't like to sub out all of the oil. The flavor changes even if the texture stays the same. 

Don't get caught up in the anti-fat thing. Our bodies need fat. Not the full-pound-of-bacon fat, but fat in our dairy, a little oil in our salad...good stuff. Make good stuff and you'll eat it. Make yourself eat blah stuff and you'll start eying that cake. 

Anyway, I'm baking my way through Allrecipes.com. I've had some pretty good muffins and some okay muffins. If you have any suggestions for a really great, sorta healthy muffin please let me know. And I'll keep you informed with my quest. 


2 comments:

mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anna said...

I have a wonderful muffin recipe that we use all the time. It has been a great way to use all the pumpkins that we grew in the garden this summer.
Pumpkin Muffins
1c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. pumpkin
1/4 c. milk
1 c. oatmeal
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 c. oil (I use Olive Oil)
Combine egg, pumpkin, oil and milk. Add dry ingredients, then oatmeil. Fill greased muffin ins 3/4 full. Bake 18 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes 12-16. There is also a topping that goes with (lots of sugar & butter) we never use it. Hope you enjoy.
~Anna