Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Aebleskiver, or connecting with a heritage that is only mine through marriage

Aebleskiver~(Danish) apple slices/pieces aka Danish doughnuts or round pancakes

I'm not sure of when I first ran into the concept. It's not a common one in Dean's family. Traditions run more Norwegian lefse, herring, and the very occasional lutefisk. (Dean bought me a lefse roller from the Sons of Norway sale a few weeks ago...so stay tuned for that adventure.)

Anyway, I ran across aebleskiver on the Internet, and fell in love with the idea of round pancakes.
I annoyed a fellow blogger I follow with details of her pan.
I placed the pan on my Garage Sale list.
I scoured the Sons of Norway sale and the All-City Garage Sale.
I followed the term on Ebay.

Finally I just made a jump and bid on a pan. I paid more in shipping (6lb!) then for the pan itself.


Here I'm buttering the pan. That's strawberry jam with the spoon sticking out of it.

There are many recipes on the Internet, but they're fairly similar. Very close to a buttermilk pancake recipe. A few of the boys felt the first one we tried was too eggy, so I dropped the eggs down from 4 to 2 the next time and it was perfect.

  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 1-2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 cups buttermilk

Whip the egg whites until stiff. Mix the rest and then carefully fold in whites at the end. 





It actually didn't take as long to make them as I thought. And don't expect perfectly round. Mine never were (more football or egg shaped). Once the pan is properly heated they cook fairly quickly. I would butter, pour, add filling and then check for turning. Usually they were ready. I would do a 1/3 or 1/2 turn then wait for the full turn. Every time it started to brown I would flip it over a little more. Usually 2-3 turns were all it needed to come around full circle. I used a wooden chopstick.


And they were good! We tried many different fillings;

dipped in butter with rolled in cinnamon/sugar
strawberry jam
frozen blueberries
cheddar cheese
chocolate chips
apple pieces
applesauce with cinnamon/sugar 
dried cranberries

I think the jam and blueberries were the best. The dried cranberries weren't very good and the applesauce made it hard to see if they were done inside (although when they were it was good). 

A definite hit. Dean was most impressed and even called his Danish grandmother about it. 

Of course, now I'm on the hook for lefse. 

5 comments:

Aimee said...

Wahoo!! Your fellow blogger was not annoyed at all; indeed she was only too happy to share the love of aeblskiver!
Nicely done with these guys. I forgot to mention how we turned them - lots of people have trouble with that. My mom uses a wooden skewer. Sounds like a chop stick works well too!
Something I should make someday is Anise cookies. My Danish grandma used to make them. I'm the only one in the family that likes them. They taste like black licorice. They need a special roller which I don't have. But I like aebleskiver a lot more! =)

Tam said...

Perhaps I should make clear that 'annoyed' is a verb describing my action...not Aimee's attitude (gracious).

I wonder if Dean would like the anise cookies. I'll have to ask him. I also wonder if the lefse roller would do for that.

And aebleskiver are wonderful! Thanks for the help!

Aimee said...

Hey, you just won an award!! Congratulations!

http://northmidwest.blogspot.com/2010/05/award-award.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_297fGmt9pkk/S_Uaynf4NcI/AAAAAAAAAxo/pew1r2pcgCk/s1600/blog+award.jpg

Letícia said...

I'll try strawberry jam.. it isn't common here in my country.

Letícia Moraes
http://tomatesuicida.blogspot.com/

Tam said...

Thank you Aimee!

Its very sweet Leticia. Usually when I make my own I wonder how much sugar I can cut from the recipe.

What kind of jams, jellies, or fruit sweets do you have in Brasil that would work with this?