Friday, March 12, 2010

Could it be Spring????

I've been meaning to write a blog post about this all week. Last Sunday Dean tapped our front maple tree. 

At that point I was running a checklist of Winter vs. Spring.

Winter
*Snow covering the back and side yard.
*Still need mittens or gloves.
*Boys still wearing snow pants.
*No mud.


Spring
*Temperatures rising, sap rising.
*Snow melted off the front (western) side of the house.
*Bulbs starting to poke through (in the front).
*Boys trying to get away with no mittens, hats, or even coats. That's what 40 degrees does to Wisconsin kids.

Since then a lot of things have changed. It rained...at night..and then all day the next day. Puddles are everywhere. Mud is everywhere, and even the backyard has lost most of its snow cover. Soon I will have to start wiping down the dog when he comes inside. If that isn't Spring I don't know what is.

So I'm starting to lean toward Spring, in a very Wisconsin way. That means that I expect snow. It will snow again, probably at least twice more, before the ground thaws.

Until then I need to find my camera, clean out the seed starting area, and get some seeds started!! They'll be a little behind this year but I'm not going to sweat it.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

It's incredible how quickly the snow has melted off our yard - though I'm sure there is way more snow in our yard still than anyone elses.
The snow pulled back from our back rain garden to reveal several little spikes of...something...growing! I'm pretty sure it's from some mystery bulb we discovered in the yard last year. I'm happy to see it coming up - but I know if I want it to survive, I'd better cover it up with a whole lot of hay. Grr - get here quicker spring!

Tam said...

I feel a little pang of fear for my spiklets. Wisconsin is not kind to early growth!

I hope for the best though. Hope yours makes it.