Monday, June 8, 2009

Leaping Backward through May

One problem with my yard...having enough sunlight. One of our solutions is growing things in 5 gallon buckets on the back deck or on the small path at the south wall of the garage. Last year it was potatoes. This year we have tomato overflow and 1 bell pepper. I hope I remember to water them.
It still amazes me how much corn looks like grass (I believe it belongs to the grass family). I swear I've lived in corn and dairy country all my life but I guess I've never been this close to one so early in the season. I hope the dog doesn't eat it. He likes the tall grass.
And the squash nod and stretch. I hope that hose is not too close. L. planted all the hardy squash for me. This is my first year using the drip hoses. It's my investment for the year. Last year all the squash, cucumbers, and pumpkin died of powdery mildew. They were so far away I just splashed them as best I could. I just love how you can just point hoses to the sky and thumb it just right. Apparently veggies don't find that quite as fun.
Cucumbers look a little uncertain.
Here's Dean's new bed. Strawberries. I never thought I had enough sun for them but a friend gave me this cool box. We'll just have to wait and see.

As we leap back into the present I think I miss May 23rd. It was so bright and sunny. Right now it's in the 40s and rainy. I think I'll take a day off, bake some banana bread, throw in some Steve Earle and read Michael Perry's new book Coop. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Dean Goodmanson said...

The tomatoes are right next to the (unphotographed!) worm farm so I'll remember to add compost tea!

Tam said...

Shhhh...I have to save something to post in the future. I did take pictures of your worm farm for a later expose.