Monday, May 4, 2009

Word Pictures

There is a lot going on, more than enough to blog about, but my lovely husband still has the card for my camera so I've put off writing too long.

I'll try to summarize. See if you can visualize it. Remember the days when we had to do that anyway? Blogging is sorta like having a Pen Pal. One who always writes shorter letters but you know they love you anyway...or at least are amused enough to keep coming back.

Dearest Pen Pal,

The weather is finally warming up and the sun is shining. The tomatoes came up! They're beautiful and leafy with large true leaves. I'm leaving them under the lights in the basement for a few more weeks although I'm so tempted to plant them while the weather is so nice.

The peppers sprouted! Then I held off watering them because the tomatoes pots were molding and I thought I was overdoing it. Then they withered. Then I watered them and almost all of them came back. Then the cats (I'm guessing Daniel Striped Tiger...yes, he's named after the Mr. Rogers puppet) used them as a launchpad while we were gone over the weekend. Those sunspots are all important and no 1/4" pepper is going to get in the way of a full-grown tabby with sleep on his mind.

Last week I dragged up my shelves and plastic covering from the basement and hardened off the lettuce and chard. I planted them out in the garden Friday. It felt good to get my hands dirty.

I finally split the overgrown broccoli and brought them outside. I need to remember that broccoli is a crazy germinater. I swear they are replicating in there.

I planted corn and cucumber seeds and put them in the spot the broccoli vacated downstairs under the lights. That pink poison they put on the corn seeds always makes me nervous. The lady down at the natural foods store is always trying to catch the kids touching it and reminding them of what dire things would happen. Which of course makes them want to go closer. And closer. I wonder if you can breathe it in?

I'm sprouting spinach seeds in a wet paper towel. I bet it will end up behind the cookbooks again.

Blue potato seed came today! I had it on my list but I thought I forgot to order it and it was too late. It's nice to be surprised some days.

Well, my 4 year old is picking his nose and flicking it at the dog again so I better go.

Your crazy friend,

Tamara

3 comments:

lisa said...

LOL! I had pen pals when I was a kid, sometimes visualization is better than pictures, IMO. Your seed-starting sounds like it's going really well...mine also, including the mental notes and losing stuff! Cabbage germinates almost too well, also...good thing I like it! :)

Balisha said...

Hi Tam,
Sounds like things are buzzin at your house. Your plants sound healthy and almost ready to go out. Isn't it hard to keep them in till it's safe? I can't wait to plant tomato plants, but high 30's are still in the forecast for next week at night.So...I'll wait. Good luck with your garden this year.

Sylvana said...

I didn't know that broccoli germinated so well. Maybe I will have to try growing my own from seed.