Friday, March 20, 2009

Under the Wire

Wednesday I had sick and cranky kids.

You wouldn't think that would NOT facilitate a finished gardening project, but while 4 year old L. slept I decided I'd had enough of responsible behavior and disappeared into the basement.

While I was there I filled the jugs with leftover soil from last year, planted seeds, labeled them, taped them up, and dragged them to the backyard.

Before Dean came home I managed to plant:
*a lettuce mix
*a basil mix
*spinach
*random flower seeds we picked up on walks last year (2 milk jugs)
*evening primrose
*sunflowers (autumn, jade, ice, basic)
*mustard
*cilantro (2)
*thyme
*parsley
*and some other herb I'm sure I'm forgetting right now

The herbs went into the second group of smaller bottles which I set out on one of the raised garden beds. Lesson learned last year: the small bottles don't need much wind to fall off the railing and burst behind the bachelor buttons.

L. slept the whole time and I felt strangely proud of myself. Mission accomplished.

On to setting up the seed starting station. Happy Spring, everyone, and Happy Birthday Grandma. Spring always makes me think of you.

2 comments:

Sylvana said...

Congratulations! I have yet to actually accomplish winter sowing. I don't think of it until it's time to plant and then I have no containers saved.

Cinj said...

How does it work? How much soil do you put in the cartons? Have you had much success?

I just stomped all of my milk cartons for the trip to the dump, but I may consider that project for next winter.

I'll be starting some spring seeds in the basement in the next day or two.