Thursday, March 12, 2009

By Post



Shortly after Kathi from Welcome to My Garden posted that she had finally ordered her garden seeds, I did. I'd been putting it off for awhile, immersing myself in cataloging my seed collection, baking bread, and generally resting before the Spring birthday run begins.

It came yesterday.

One of the reasons I've been so slow on this, is that I'd made a list of things I had to do before I could order seeds. I was using the seed order as a carrot to motivate me to draw up a garden plan, make a list of seeds I've bought and gathered, and begin winter sowing. Obviously I'm no rabbit because the list is not finished; the carrot did not work. Maybe it will get done. Maybe it won't. Sometimes you need a little push, like Kathi gave me, to get past your preconceived ideas of how something is going to be.

Yesterday I got another little jump start.

One thing I did get done was a listing of seed packets I've carried over from the last 2 years, and another list of the seeds I gathered from my garden last year. I enjoyed making the list. It's part a part of my goofy organizing and reorganizing nature.

Anyway, it was a good thing I did because the page-long list of seeds I absolutely could not live without turned into a list of 3-5 items. I have a lot of seeds. Much more then I thought I had since this is a fairly new hobby/way of life for us.

From that list we've decided to plant:
Decicco broccoli
Lemon cucumbers
Double yield cucumbers
Goldenrod bush beans
Kentucky blue pole beans
Bodacious sweet corn
Chantilly carrots
Space spinach
sugar snap pea
Envy soy beans (edamame)
Silverline melon
Power's yellow heirloom tomatoes (paste)
Opalka tomatoes (paste)--maybe
Aunt Ruby's German green tomatoes
Black cherry tomatoes
Aliana Kus tomatoes (I hear they're early so I may try one)
spaghetti squash
Delicata squash
Genovese basil
cilantro
dill
garlic

And I received from my order:
Cubanelle peppers
a Mesclan/lettuce mix
Vermont cranberry bean
Ambassador summer squash
Goldbar summer squash (backordered)

In my haste it seems I neglected to order blue potatoes. The boys will be disappointed. I've also cut out rosa bianca eggplant (we don't eat it enough), fingerling potatoes, Italian fennel, Black Krim tomatoes, and Calypso beans. Maybe another year.

In this order I also received 100 peat pots and a large row cover. They're cheaper at Pinetree then buying them at Walmart

That's my update. I'll try to get organized and have new pictures soon.

1 comment:

Cinj said...

Isn't the spring thaw wonderful? I finally got around to getting my plant order in. No seeds from the catalogs this year (except hull-less popcorn), I have a ton that I bought last fall that I plan on using. I think I will try my hand at an herb garden this year too.