Monday, February 16, 2009

An annual chore and a Birthday present

I've been meaning to get to this for a few months. I collect used bags (baggies). Mostly the gallon size, occasionally the quart size, a few rare sizes in between. They can't have held meat or anything juicy. Most of them hold bread, cookies, or computer parts.

Saturday I finally got to the gallon jug I had overflowing with them. I cleaned out the kitchen sink and filled it up with water and a splash of bleach. Turned inside out. Soaked for 10 minutes. Rinsed. Soaked for 10 minutes.
Thrown out on the drainboard while I go shopping. When I'm standing around talking to my husband while he washes the dishes I'll turn them right side out and throw them in a box in the pantry.

Bags without closures (bread bags, oatmeal bags, grocery bags) either go in the dog-walk container by the door or drawer for garbage cans.

I still have and throw out way too much plastic, but I feel like I'm getting there little by little.
Also, my bread book came! Happy (late) Birthday to me. I decided I've really enjoyed exploring the world of baking and to try to take it to the next level. I made ciabatta, french bread, and pecan raisin in the last two weeks. Yum.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow. Isn't washing out plastic baggies one of the worst chores of all time!? I can't believe you can get away with doing it only once a year. If I wait more than a couple weeks it gets way out of hand - and that's only the ziploc bags. The non-sealing bags are in a pile about 2 feet high on top of the fridge. =)

Tam said...

Perhaps you're much more conscientious than I am, Aimee. ;)

Plus I have a dog to help me with my non-sealing ones.

I got away with making it an annual chore by giving them to my husband for computer parts and board games. Then I just have to dump the crumbs and hand them over. I'm not looking forward to the day when he's done with them!

Thanks for stopping by.