Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pitas


I thought I'd get back to my baking day. The pitas were hit. I got the recipe from here, one of my favorite baking sites. Here I've flattened the dough after rising 90 minutes.


With the thinness of the dough (1/8"-1/4") and the heat of the oven (400) they start to puff up pretty quickly.


And the final product. We split these open and stuffed them with romaine lettuce and salad dressing or leftover pork. The remainders were smothered with butter and honey and devoured.

We liked them so much I made a triple batch today. I figured they'll be great for sandwiches or mini-pizzas. I made one change. I subbed in some whole wheat flour to give it a bit more bite and texture.


3 comments:

Kathi said...

Those look really good Tam. What kind of flour did you use?

Tam said...

In the ones pictured I used unbleached white flour because that is what the recipe used.

In the batch I made yesterday I subbed 1/3 of the white flour for whole wheat and I can't tell the difference between the two kinds (neither can my husband or children).

I'll probably keep upping the whole wheat until someone complains or I miss the texture or flavor of a previous batch.

Because flat breads are so old, they were all originally made of whole flours. Density is not a problem here. It might be fun to do some experimenting later with different flours.

I was surprised at how easy these were to make, and how well my family responded to them. I highly recommend people trying these out.

Kathi said...

I think I might try them with garbanzo bean flour.

Thanks so much for sharing them.