Monday, January 19, 2009

Joni Mitchell, Windpower, and Birthdays

We've been trying to visit my husband's grandmother in Minnesota for a month. The wonderful arctic breezes--while keeping some of the snow at bay--have caused us to cancel week after week.

So 2 weeks ago we decided that was it. I checked some CDs out of the library. Charged up the Gameboys. Packed a few videos and the Keto scale.

It was a long trip driving alone, but I had Joni, Ray, and Bob to keep my company. My husband drove his little Honda to sell to a cousin. About 45 minutes into Minnesota I was fed up with Bob Dylan. Yes, the man's a genius but 10 minutes of heartbreak alley with no musical nuances and a gravelly voice just reminded me of how trapped I was. I flipped to the next CD.

Coming over the horizons to the strains of Joni Mitchell's "All I Want" windmills turning in every direction.

I am on a lonely road and I am traveling/
Traveling, traveling, traveling/
Looking for something, what can it be
How beautiful.

The boys are shouting...and counting. I'm trying not to get into a wreck as I gawk in every direction. Wondering how Quixote could have mistaken them for grotesque giants instead of lovely flying swans.

It was just as beautiful on the way back, traveling down 90 between Austin and Rochester. I want some in Wisconsin.

Since then we've been living a life of sugar, friends, and presents wrapped furtively in the night. We had two birthdays in early January and I usually don't consider Christmas completely done until we've hit these milestones.

Now I feel I can relax from Christmas cheer, put myself on a micro-diet, and finally get to those gardening catalogs. They've been piling up.

1 comment:

martian77 said...

Oh, I love those windmills! They are so elegant. I don't understand how people can consider them ugly.