Friday, January 23, 2009

Baking Day

I've been trying to find one day a week to do some baking lately. Nothing tastes as good on a wintery day and it warms up the kitchen nicely.

Number one on the list is Susan from Farmgirlfare's delicious Oatmeal bread. You can find the recipe here. It's a very good multigrain bread. I substitute a few of the cups of white flour for whole wheat and have even gone up to ratio of 1/3 oatmeal, 1/3 whole wheat, and 1/3 unbleached white flour. Wonderful as rolls. Freezes well.

My second item is usually muffins for L's Ketogenic Diet. I understand a recipe like this won't do much for most of you but in case someone Googles in.

Keto muffins--individual serving 3:1 ratio

8g cream
6g of bananas OR 18g of strawberries OR raise Splenda to 3.5g and add 1g of Hershey's cocoa for chocolate muffins
2g Splenda (not the mixed with sugar kind)
7g coconut flour
5g flax meal
36g eggbeaters (You can use eggs instead but they will come out less in volume on the calculator. L's on a low cholesterol diet so I switched off of eggs and butter. Note how many eggs are used. These flours have no gluten and the egg is used to bond everything together.)
8g canola oil
16g Hellman's mayonnaise
.5g baking powder/pinch of salt
shot of vanilla (or other flavoring..banana/strawberry/etc)

I usually mix this up good (it's important that the fruit is really crushed well so it can circulate all through the batch if you're multiplying this) and bake in a greased ramekin at 350. This is very moist and browns and rises well but you have to leave it in longer than you would normal muffins or it will be mushy inside. If you have any left after 2-3 days, refrigerate to keep mold away these are very moist.

Those are my constants. If I have time I try to add an extra every week. I might make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Or I might try my hand at homemade yogurt (more on that another day). I might make a batch of Peter Reinhart's Neapolitan Pizza dough.

Today I'm trying Pita bread. I'll have to post more on that later this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to go with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. I have a google alert for the ketogenic diet and it had an entry for you.

We're also from Wisconsin and my son is on the ketogenic diet. It was pretty amazing to skim through your blog and think of how similar it sounds to us. My husband is the gardener though, not me!!

My son has been on the diet for over a year now. I still feel bad when he asks for things he can't have, but his seizure control is so much better now!! I hope it is the same for you!!!

Tam said...

Thanks for stopping by. Things are getting better.

Stop by again to chat. It's always good to meet someone else in the same situation.