Monday, November 17, 2008

Music and Community

I went to a concert with my husband last Saturday. Over the Rhine was in Madison in a little theater downtown.

Sometimes it's just nice to have something to look forward to.

To anyone who hasn't been to a concert in a few years (we hadn't been to one since we got engaged), especially a concert in a small space by people who love their work, I highly recommend it.

One wonderful thing about live shows is the sense of emotion and power which is passed between the performers and audience. Music is one of the most personal art forms and it's wonderful to sit closely together and listen and respond. Reminds me a bit of church, in a way.

It was bitterly cold with the wind coming off both Monona and Mendota. We all stepped in. Many people stopped for a drink. We got to watch the room fill, which is fun. The way couples find seats, express their joy or frustration, how people in Wisconsin keep their coats on instead of instantly removing them (not a bad idea with the doors open so much). The couple in front of us, the husband looked like Kurt Vonnegut from the back and side. They were head-boppers, both of them, and they really enjoyed the performance. I got a kick looking for other head-boppers.

People enjoy things in such wonderfully different ways.

Which leads me (finally) to the gardening part of this post. Karin Bergquist, lead singer, made a short comment about a friend of theirs who lives further north and is a dedicated gardener. Between the weather and the short season she commented that we may want to move south.

I laughed a bit, but it made me think...would I want to leave central Wisconsin? If I got to grow longer and better? I'm not sure I would. I've been to Cincinnati in November and March. It's not much colder or snowier here, although it seems to linger here a longer. We seem to have a brown horizon for an extra month either way. And I do love the trees: myriad fir mixed with the usual deciduous. We have so many more than I've seen in Ohio and they're tall and thick everywhere you look. We have the same rolling land but we have so many more lakes, rivers, national forests, and reservations.

No, I guess I'll trade those 2 extra brown and blowy months to have a wilder horizon.

4 comments:

Balisha said...

Hi Tam,
Happy Thanksgiving...just sitting here waiting for the pie to come out of the oven. Sent some ecards to family and thought I would wish you the same.Have a nice day.

Kathi said...

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving Tam. Wisconsin is a great state to live in. I grew up there and moved to MN from AZ to be closer to WI.

Balisha said...

Hi Tam,
I just wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas. I imagine you have been busy digging out like we have. Maybe January will be better. Have a great holiday.

Sylvana said...

I love Wisconsin. But I do have to admit that I have been considering leaving Wisconsin mostly for the gardening. I have seen gardens from the northern west coast and I am VERY JEALOUS!!

But I really love Wisconsin. What a dilemma.

Happy Holidays!