Thursday, August 7, 2008

I Love Breakfast

Now that berry season is in full swing--I love breakfast!

Here it is. Plain yogurt, blueberries, and granola. Recipe will follow. I got it from an online blog (who claimed to get it from a hippie baker) and modified it a bit to suit my likes and dislikes.

Granola

2 cups of oatmeal (the whole kind, not the quick oats)
1-1 1/2 cup of pecans (or walnuts or almonds, or a mix etc)
1/4 cup of sesame seed
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
1/4 cup of bran..I prefer oat bran over wheat bran
1/4 cup of a neutral oil...I use canola
1/2 cup of honey...I like cranberry honey but any is good

1. Mix the oats, seeds, and nuts in a pan with sides. I like to use a roasting pan with parchment paper on the bottom.
2. Drizzle oil and honey over the top. Stir it in.
3. Put granola in an oven set at @350.
4. Every 5 minutes or so open the door and stir the granola so it can dry evenly.
5. After 10 minutes check up on it every minute or so.
6. Take it out after it starts to brown.

Once it's out of the oven you can add dried fruit (raisins, whatever) but I don't usually. Keep it in a tight-lidded container or it will loose it's crunch.

3 comments:

Tam said...

I forgot...often I add a few squirts of vanilla for flavor.

lisa said...

Sounds yummy!

Barbee' said...

Nice post. I lovvvve blueberries for breakfast, or any kind of berry, really.