Friday, July 11, 2008

The Jam Won't Gel

After a wonderful day of picking berries, I decided to make some low-sugar jam with some pectin I had. It seemed like an easy idea even though I've never done it before. The steps are few and it only takes a few minutes once the berries are cleaned up.

Instead of the recommended 4-7 cups of sugar I added 2 cups of apple juice and a tablespoon of liquid sucrolose (my 4th son can have that on his diet). Then I boiled it down until most of the water from the apple juice was gone (maybe I didn't boil it down long enough?). I got the idea from this website.

The jam wouldn't gel. I added some Knox unflavored gelatin. It still wouldn't gel. I figured as it cooled it would become more jam-like. Like Meg in Little Women I had pots of syrupy produce and a hot kitchen when I was done. The jam won't gel.

My husband and I had a good laugh at my efforts. The syrup is good. It's plenty sweet enough. I might even leave out the sucralose next time.

The jam/jelly/syrup is great on crackers, toast, and pancakes like the ones in the photo. You just use a spoon instead of a knife.

Oatmeal-Apple Pancakes

1 cup oats
1 cup buttermilk (or milk, or buttermilk powder and milk)
3/4 cup flour (white, wheat, or a mixture)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. (or to taste) of cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/3 cup of brown sugar (or turbinado or even honey)
2/3 cup of oil or unsweetened applesauce or a mixture of the two (I like 1/2 cup applesauce with a dash of oil which looks like 1/4 of a cup)

1. Mix the oats and the milk/buttermilk. Sit for 30 minutes or until oats have softened.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients mixing well.
3. Oil a griddle or frying pan. Heat until a drop of water sizzles.
4. Fry cakes. Turn when holes begin to pop and pancake is nicely brown.
5. Cover with maple syrup, strawberries, or warm applesauce (my favorite). Enjoy.

I like these because the oats give them a nice flavor and a solidness I don't get from white pancakes. I like to make my own smooshed apples (aka super chunky applesauce/apple pie mix) to go with them for dinner.

I got the idea from a muffin recipe I tried once. I've been messing around with it since then.

1 comment:

Barbee' said...

What a precious picture. Those pancakes do look good!