Saturday, May 31, 2008

At the last minute


I've been reading a lot about heirloom tomatoes lately. Different tastes. Different colors.

Like any new interest crushes develop. You sneak around to get a look at your favorites and silently pine after them.

Two I've been very interested in were Black Krim and Aunt Ruby's German Green. I have so many paste tomatoes that it seemed worth it to pick these two up today when we stopped by Jungs.

When we got home I planted them in two of the extra holes. I took off the bottom four branches and planted them deep to develop a good root system.

At Jung's I even chatted with an elderly gentleman who'd never heard of the heirlooms they had out on the table. We talked tomato flavors. It was a lot of fun.

1 comment:

Sylvana said...

I use the same technique for planting tomatoes.
I haven't tried heirloom tomatoes, but I should. I always get volunteers in the spring from the tomatoes that I grow, and wouldn't it be nice if they actually were the same tomato that you had the year before?